|"Store & P. O. of H. E. Spragg, Spraggs, Pa." (1)|
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: The most sought after images in the requests we receive and the searches on our Photo Archives page are related to Greene County, PA, places. Towns, streets, buildings, houses, landmarks, and similar sites are of interest to a large number of people because those spaces are relatable in many ways. Perhaps it is a place you walk by every day, or maybe it is somewhere that you work, live, go to church or school, or have just always been curious about. For researchers, it may be a location where an ancestor interacted or an important local history event played out. No matter what, there is no denying that location images appeal to a wide audience and spark lively conversations of shared memories.
|"Ross Building, Carmichaels, Pa. Destroyed by fire Aug. 24th 1910." (2)|
To aid in navigation, the postcards in this collection have been laid out in series according to geography. Here are quick links to the full collection and each series:
Brice and Linda Rush Collection (featuring Walter “Blackie” Markiewich Postcards)
- Center Township
- Cumberland Township
- Dunkard Township
- Freeport Township
- Gilmore Township
- Jackson Township
- Jefferson Township
- Monongahela Township
- Morgan Township
- Perry Township
- Morris & Washington Township
- Wayne Township
- Washington County, PA
|"High Street, Looking East, Waynesburg, PA." (3)|
- While on www.GreeneConnections.com, go to the Photo Archives page and click Keywords. Look at the list of keywords volunteers and viewers have added. This list includes town names, street names, subjects, dates, and more. You can help to add keywords as you browse the archive photos to make this even stronger for future searches.
- Also on the www.GreeneConnections.com Photo Archives page, use the custom search engine to look for subjects. In the Name field, try typing a town name, street name, church, or other subject. We are adding more to this index daily. If you have suggestions, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|"Just a Line From Davistown Where Life Is Worth Living" (4)|
Finally, this popular topic has frequently brought to our attention a caution that we issue out of respect to the volunteers and contributors working on this project. Because location photos are such an attraction, an eBay seller named "afraidofglobalwarming" has harvested a large number of our free images from the archive site on Flickr and has posted them for sale on eBay. This eBay seller and others like them, have pulled images from other archive collections as well. Flickr hosts numerous public domain archival collections including the Library of Congress (see their Flickr page here). In using this model, we are working our hardest to follow archival protocol and are constantly attempting to upgrade and improve to keep up with current standards. Our mission is to make the images freely available and also to fully document them with complete caption and source details. We want the photos to be seen, used, understood, and enjoyed. Our concerns with the eBay seller are:
- that no credit is given to the original photo contributors;
- the detailed archival caption and provenance data provided with these photos is not maintained other than a single line subject title; and
- the eBay seller misrepresents themself as the scanner of the images, when in fact our volunteers and contributors spent hours to do this work.
GreeneConnections.com is a free local history archival project. Sponsored by LOLA Energy.
 Item # RUSH-AN001-0012-0007, Walter “Blackie” Markiewich Postcard Series, Brice & Linda Rush Collection, Greene County, Pennsylvania Archives Project (www.GreeneConnections.com).
 Item # RUSH-AN001-0002-0005, Walter “Blackie” Markiewich Postcard Series, Brice & Linda Rush Collection, Greene County, Pennsylvania Archives Project (www.GreeneConnections.com).
 Item # RUSH-AN001-0013-0006, Walter “Blackie” Markiewich Postcard Series, Brice & Linda Rush Collection, Greene County, Pennsylvania Archives Project (www.GreeneConnections.com).
 Item # RUSH-AN001-0003-0002, Walter “Blackie” Markiewich Postcard Series, Brice & Linda Rush Collection, Greene County, Pennsylvania Archives Project (www.GreeneConnections.com).